How do parental controls work and how do I set them up?

Home Forums Play Store Questions How do parental controls work and how do I set them up?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Will 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Martha

I need some peace of mind with my little boy and this is pretty confusing. What do the parental controls do? Will they stop him from seeing adult things?

#89 Reply

Will

They’re turned off by default, as you already noticed, this however means that anyone using your devices will be able to download or purchase mature content.
    You can however restrict what can be downloaded or purchased on your device with the parental controls, although they don’t prevent seeing restricted content when searching, or visiting it through a link.
    There are different filters for each type of store, and they all aren’t available in every country, so they may not work when you’re travelling.

In Apps & Games: You can set the highest content rating you want for downloads and purchases, but you will still see the apps and games outside of the filter when you search or when you visit them through a link to their pages, and you’ll still see any apps and games you downloaded before adding the controls, even if outside the rating. They also don’t change the games you see in the Play Games app nor any you’ve bought or recommended.
    If you try to install any games you’ll be taken to the Play Store app and the parental controls may restrain you.

In Movies: You can set the highest rating to allow rental, playback, or purchase, but just like in apps and games, you’ll still see movies outside of that filter when searching or visiting through a link. Any movies restricted by the parental controls won’t be visible in the Play Store/Movies app, even if they already were purchased or rented, and you’ll need to turn parental controls off to see them again.

In TV: You can, once again, choose the highest rating you want to allow for playback or purchase. Yet again, you can still see TV shows outside the filter by searching or following a link; any TV show restricted by parental controls will be invisible on the Play Store/Movies & TV app, even if already purchased, and you’ll have to turn the parental controls off to see them again.

In Books: If set up, parental controls will disallow you from reading or purchasing most of the sexually explicit books from the Play Store/Books app. You’ll still see any books outside the filter by searching or following a link, and you also need to turn parental controls off to see your own filtered books. Parental controls won’t catch all of the sexually explicit books in Google Play, but it’ll help in avoiding most of the adult content.

In Music: Parental controls will stop you from being able to purchase music that’s marked “Explicit” by the content provides, but you’ll still see music outside the filter by searching or following a link, and these controls only apply to the Play Store/Music app, they don’t change the music you see in your Play Music app, which includes uploaded music, purchased music, and subscription tracks.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: How do parental controls work and how do I set them up?
Your information: